Aba traders storm govt house, seek Otti’s intervention over alleged military siege

Pls share this post


Listen to this article

Traders from Ngwa Road market Aba, Tuesday, stormed Abia Government House Umuahia, to protest alleged siege of the market by the military following the May 30th killing of five soldiers by unknown gunmen.

The traders who carried placards with various inscriptions sought the intervention of Gov. Alex Otti for the reopening of their shops.

Some of the inscriptions read:” We are tired of staying at home”; “We have no access to our shops any more”,; “Our shops are under siege”.

President of the Traders’ Association,  Chinedu Oforndu who spoke on their behalf, lamented  that they had not been able to access to their shops since the incident.

He said that the situation had been taking a toll on them and their families as they now find it difficult to feed.

” Our shops are under siege by the military since May 30. We don’t have access to our shops again. Hunger is dealing with us. Governor please come to our rescue”, he pleaded.

Speaking also, the Secretary of the traders, Mr Ikenna Ohanaba, said that the traders had been frustrated over the situation, and needed Government’s help.

Ohanaba who said that the scene of the attack against the slain soldiers was far from the location of the market, wondered why traders would be made to suffer for what they had no hand in.

Responding, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Trade, Commerce and Industry, Chief Nwaka Inem, commended the traders for their peaceful comportment.

READ ALSO  PICTORIAL: Nigeria’s First Female Officer To Graduate From UK’s RMAS Meets First Lady Tinubu

He promised to convey their grievances to the Governor, and pleaded with them to remain calm as Government is making spirited efforts to put the situation under check.

The SA noted that unprovoked attack on the military usually comes with collateral damages, adding that but for the maturity and tact with which Gov Otti is handling the situation, something worse might have happened.

Inem said that the security situation would be reviewed and the proper things done.

He, further urged the traders to assist Government with any useful information that could lead to the apprehension of the perpetrators.

Chief Inem, said the Governor had to raise the bounty on the perpetrators from N25 million to N30 million to demonstrate Government’s commitment in apprehending the culprits.

The post Aba traders storm govt house, seek Otti’s intervention over alleged military siege appeared first on Pointblank News.

Source



Pls share this post
Previous articleCourt nullifies section 3 of Rivers Assembly Amendment Laws passed by Amaewhule 
Next articleTinubu commends Tolaram Group for confidence in Nigeria’s economy