QuickRead: Court nullifies Edo PDP governorship primary. Four other stories we tracked and why they matter

QuickRead: Court nullifies Edo PDP governorship primary. Four other stories we tracked and why they matter
Pls share this post


Listen to this article

The Federal High Court, Abuja, last week invalidated the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) primary election that declared Asue Ighodalo as the party’s candidate in the September 21 governorship election in Edo State.

The same week, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yussuf Tuggar, said at least 7,000 people have been killed in terror attacks across West Africa in the first five months of this year.

These and three other stories we tracked dominated public discourse in Nigeria last week.

1. Court nullifies Edo PDP governorship primary

On July 4, Justice Inyang Ekwo of the Federal High Court, Abuja, nullified the PDP primary election that produced Ighodalo as the party’s candidate for the Edo State governorship election.

The judge, who delivered the judgment in a motion filed by one Kelvin Mohammed, held that the PDP primary held on February 22 did not adhere to the Electoral Act of 2022, the guidelines for the conduct of the election, and the party’s constitution.

He said: “Exhibit tendered by the party lacked evidence. The plaintiffs successfully established their case against the defendants through the exhibits presented.

“I find that the plaintiffs’ case succeeds on its merits.”

Why it matters

The court’s ruling may have further dimmed the PDP’s chances of retaining power in Edo State when the residents cast their ballots on September 21.

The feud between Governor Godwin Obaseki and his estranged former deputy, Phillip Shaibu, the division among the party elders on the choice of candidate and other misgivings indicate that the party would be approaching the election more divided than it has ever been in the state.

2. Nigerian govt claims 7,000 killed by terrorists in West Africa

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Yusuf Tuggar, said on July 4 that at least 7,000 people have been killed in terror attacks across West Africa in the first five months of this year.

READ ALSO  Top 10 stories from across Nigerian Newspapers, Saturday, May 11, 2024

Tuggar stated this at the opening of the 52nd session of the ECOWAS Mediation and Security Council in Abuja.

He said: “Between January and May 2024, our region has witnessed over 7,000 deaths as a result of more than 800 terrorist incidents. Burkina Faso, Niger, and Mali have been particularly devastated by this relentless violence.

“This stark reality highlights the staggering human cost of insecurity and underscores the urgency for coordinated and decisive action to combat this menace.”

Why it matters

The minister’s remark underscores the need for collective action against terrorism and violent extremism by countries in the sub-region.

This also reinforced the call for countries in West Africa to forge a united front and come up with a more coordinated response to counter the threats by these non-state agents who are increasingly more sophisticated in the crime against the states no thanks to their links with Al Qaeda in the Maghreb (AQIM), the Islamic State, and other terror organisations beyond our shores.

These joint responses will complement the efforts of individual countries that have launched initiatives to counter terrorism and other crimes within their territories.

3. FG to seize Maina’s 20 properties
Security agents found  alt=

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, Abuja, on July 5, ordered the final forfeiture of at least 20 properties linked to the convicted former Chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task Team (PRTT), Abdulrasheed Maina.

The judge in a ruling held that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had proven its case beyond reasonable doubt that the assets located in different parts of the country were acquired illegally.

READ ALSO:QuickRead: Clark demands implementation of 2024 confab report. Four other stories we tracked and why they matter

READ ALSO  Tinubu Celebrates  Oba Sikiru Adetona at 90

She said: “It is trite in law that civil cases in non-conviction forfeiture are hinged on the preponderance of evidence.

“Again, I hold that the respondents have failed woefully in tilting the scale of evidential weight in their favour.”

Why it matters

The forfeiture of assets belonging to the convicted pension thief confirms the position of law in the conduct of men.

However, the eight-year sentencing handed to Maina has reinforced the call for all concerned to take another look at the slap on the wrist approach which has not deterred corrupt public officers from abusing their positions.

4. South-East governors to meet FG on Kanu

Governors of the five states in the South-East on July 2 resolved to meet the Federal Government on the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu.

They announced this in a communiqué issued at the end of their meeting in Enugu.

The communiqué read: “The Forum commiserated with Government and people of Abia State, Ebonyi State, Imo State, South East, Nigeria, and Chief Ogbonnaya Onu’s Family on the demise of His Excellency, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu.

“The Forum received the delegation of the Former President Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, GCFR, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, GCON, and His Royal Majesty Igwe Nnaemeka Achebe, CFR, Obi of Onitsha who came on a solidarity visit to the Forum.

“The Forum also resolved to interface with the Federal Government to secure the release of Mr. Nnamdi Kanu.”

Why it matters

The import of the governors’ move to free Kanu from detention is that it would reduce tension in a region that is gaining global attention for the wrong reasons.

Aside from Kanu’s release from prison, the government will do well to explore a political solution to IPOB’s agitation for a sovereign state of Biafra and other misgivings to give a new lease of life to the industrious people of the South-East.

READ ALSO  BREAKING: NLC suspends economic hardship protest

5. Ex-special investigator alleges Buhari govt returned recovered assets to looters

ICPC invites Obono-Obla for questioning

Okoi-Obono-Obla

The former Chairman of the Special Presidential Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property (SPIP), Okoi Obono-Obla, on July 1 alleged that the loots recovered under former President Muhammadu Buhari were ultimately returned to the looters.

Obono-Obla stated this during an interview with Nigerian journalist, Seun Okinbaloye on Mic On Podcast.

He said all his efforts to bring many looters to justice in the country were frustrated by the former Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, and other officials of the Buhari administration.

“Some of the things I recovered were returned to the looters.

“There was this case of someone from whom I recovered over 80 brand new X-class Mercedes Benz cars (armoured plated) from Jabi, Abuja.

“I wrote to the DG, Customs, and the Federal Inland Revenue Services to ask if the person paid customs duties and tax on the vehicles; they said No,” Obobo-Obla stated.

Why it matters

The ex-investigator’s revelation again speaks to the extent of the rot in the last administration.

There are doubts however if the Tinubu government will summon the courage to probe his predecessor following the recent revelations about the wrongdoings in that administration.

The post QuickRead: Court nullifies Edo PDP governorship primary. Four other stories we tracked and why they matter appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from Ripples Nigeria.

Source



Pls share this post
Previous articleNigerian football star, Olarewaju slams Pastor Adegboyega ₦1bn lawsuit, seeks divorce
Next articleNigerians protest hardship, hunger in Abuja (Video)